Toggle Menu
  1. Home/
  2. Life/
  3. Sports/

Luton Town snatch and run


On a superb August afternoon in Nottinghamshire, Luton fans will look back on this as the day the Hatters were resurrected from the dead.

Mansfield Town 2 Luton Town 2.


It would be fair to assume that of the two managers, Luton Town’s Nathan Jones, will be the happier of the two. With five minutes remaining the Stags (Mansfield Town) manager, Steve Evans must have been thinking that his side had eased to a two nil victory and three points in the making. However Luton Town showed their mettle with two late goals and a last minute penalty save from their Czech goalkeeper Marek Stech, to ensure left the One Call Stadium with a point to their credit.

Both managers have made significant signings in the summer, being a major factor why Mansfield were being cited as favourites to become the League Two champions, by the bookies. Luton town’s latest signing being that of midfielder Luke Berry, from Cambridge United for an undisclosed sum earlier this week.

From the outset Mansfield made a point of showing their physical strength, Luton’s players protesting quite vehemently as the referee allowed Mansfield to get away with some dubious looking challenges, which resulted in the match official Ross Joyce to have an early word with the Hatters skipper, Scott Cuthbert to ensure that both Alan McCormack and Danny Hylton kept their thoughts to themselves. Throughout the game it turned out to be a testy affair with both sides picking up six yellow cards apiece. Somewhat incredulous that there was not a red card shown during the proceedings.

The first shot of the game came in the second minute when Kayne Hemmings, on loan from Oxford United, saw his shot sail just wide to the right of the Luton goal.

The initial booking of the game came about from a Dan Potts foul on former Luton player Lee Angol. From the ensuing free kick, Mansfield deservedly took the lead, the cross from Joel Byrom found Rhys Bennett through a melee of players, who managed to slot the ball over the line.

From then until the interval it was virtually one way traffic with Mansfield continuously pressing forward searching for a second goal. It was not until the second minute of added time that the Hatters had their first real opportunity. Former Hatters loanee, Conrad Logan, in the Mansfield goal saving from Andrew Shinnies’ left footed attempt.

Following the break, Luton came out looking a great deal livelier, James Collins shot two minutes in, rising too high and clearing the Stags bar. Mansfield replied to that with Jacob Mellis forcing a save from Marek Stech, pushing the ball around the post.


Dan Potts and Lee Angol have chances for the relative sides. Luton by now definitely making the game more of a contest.

On fifty eight minutes Nathan Jones was compelled to make two changes. Andrew Shinnie, looking uncomfortable following a knock was replaced by new signing Luke Berry and Glen Rae replaced the recently booked Alan McCormack.

The Stag’s doubled their lead in the seventy first minute, a superb through ball from Paul Anderson found Lee Angol, who ran towards goal unchallenged and was able to slip the ball past Stech. Mansfield were looking good for the three points.

Both sides made a substitution on seventy five minutes, Paul Digby (Mansfield) replaced Jacob Mellis and Luton replaced an uncharacteristically quiet Olly Lee with Harry Cornick.

The home side making their second change of the game, Danny Rose replacing Kane Hemmings, who had shown why Evan’s had taken him on loan.

With all looking a lost cause for Luton, they found a lifeline when James Collins latched on to Jack Stacey’s low cross to tap the ball over the line to give the Hatters a glimmer of hope. With a minute of normal time remaining Luton defender Dan Potts took the ball to the bye line and chipped high over the Mansfield defence, Danny Hylton got his head to the ball and guided it sweetly over the line. Luton who had looked dead and buried five minutes were in fairness quite unexpectedly level.

Evan’s abruptly made his final substitution, Lee Angol replaced by Jimmy Spencer.

The Hatters pushed forward again looking for that killer goal to totally embarrass Mansfield, Luke Berry unfortunate to see his shot pass the right hand post.

Then with just seconds remaining of the added five minutes, a high ball across the Luton goalmouth was handled by the Luton captain Scott Cuthbert, referee Joyce had no hesitation in blowing for a penalty to the home side, amid the Luton players’ remonstrations, Cuthbert received a yellow card. Jimmy Spencer elected to take the spot kick, which proved to be a poor attempt and Marek Stech saved superbly to keep his side level, after Danny Rose’s follow up shot went wide of the goal. The Luton keeper then in a moment of madness surged towards the referee, maybe stating the fact that it was fair retribution, which resulted with him receiving Luton’s sixth yellow card of the encounter.

Seconds later Joyce blew for time. On a superb August afternoon in Nottinghamshire, Luton fans will look back on this as the day the Hatters were resurrected from the dead.

Team Line ups:

Mansfield Town: Conrad Logan, Rhys Bennett, Mal Benning, David Mirfin, Krystian Pearce, Paul Anderson, Will Atkinson, Joel Byrom, Jacob Mellis (Paul Digby, 75 Mins), Lee Angol (Jimmy Spencer, 89), Kane Hemmings (Danny Rose, 82).

Subs not used: Bobby Olejnik, George Taft, Alex MacDonald, Omari Sterling-James.

Luton Town: Marek Stech, Scott Cuthbert, Danny Potts, Alan McCormack (Glen Rea, 58), Jack Stacey, Alan Sheehan, Olly Lee (Harry Cornick, 75), Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, Andrew Shinnie (Luke Berry, 58), James Collins, Danny Hylton.

Subs not used: James Shea, Luke Gambin, James Justin, Elliot Lee.


Attendance: 4,665.

Image: Nathan Jones, Luton Town manager.

Chris Luke