Expert advises against boiling your underwear in hotel kettles
In order to prevent spreading potentially deadly toxins, experts are warning people not to boil their underwear in hotel kettles, as the Independent reports.
The practice of underwear-boiling is real and might leave anyone who has ever enjoyed a cup of tea in their hotel room in shock. The act has been highlighted by Gizmodo, who spotted someone asking on Twitter: “Real question: does anyone I know clean their underwear in a kettle while travelling?”. Evidence of people doing this has surfaced there, as well as on the Chinese microblogging site Weibo.
An expert warned that the practice is “super, super, super, super gross”, especially for someone who used the kettle for a cup of tea afterwards. Certain bacteria are resistant to high temperatures and might damage people’s health, according to Dr Heather Hendrickson, a senior lecturer in molecular biosciences at the Institute of Natural and Mathematical Sciences at Massey University in Auckland.
Real question: does anyone I know clean their underwear in a kettle when travelling?
— Guy 'Yug' Blomberg (@YugSTAR) August 22, 2017
“These don’t cause sickness if they are consumed, but their presence in certain environments can encourage them to produce a toxin that can be deadly,” she said. “Who knows how long that water, with nutrients that have been introduced and then sterilised, sits around in the kettle before someone else uses it?” Hendrickson continued, calling the act “unbelievably irresponsible.”
Since many people use the hotel kettles to boil their underwear, next time you might want to stick to a simple bottle of water instead of making yourself a cup of tea.