The 10 richest couples in the UK
The richest husband and wives in Britain, with a combined wealth of £3.437 billion, are actually among fashion’s most famous couples.
Salma Hayek and French businessman Francois-Henri Pinault saw their fortune increase by over £1 billion in the last year, are on the fourth place in the new edition of The Sunday Times Rich List, the top of the 1,000 richest people in the UK, Harpers Bazaar reports.
Pinault runs luxury fashion business Kering. Its most famous brands are Gucci, Saint Laurent, Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen.
His £8.56 billion stake in the company is boosted by his wife’s wealth, which is said to stand at £75 million.
“This year’s Sunday Times Rich List will show how the make-up of Britain’s richest 1,000 people is changing – with a record number of women and more husband and wife partnerships than before,” Robert Watts, the compiler of the 2017 Rich List, explained.
Ernesto Bertarelli and former Miss UK Kirsty Bertarelli top the list of the richest husbands and wives, with their wealth put at an enormous sum – £11.5 billion, more than the Queen’s estimated fortune. It is thought to have been generated from the sale of the family biotech business Serono, which earned them £6.6 billion, along with and the climbing share value in a further pharma business, Santhera, in which they have a major stake.
Here is the top 10 wealthiest husbands and wives:
1. Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli (Swiss pharmaceuticals entrepreneur and singer/songwriter) – £11.5 billion
2. Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel de Carvalho (Heineken heiress and British financier) – £9.3 billion
3. Alejandro Santo Domingo and Lady Charlotte Wellesley (Colombian-American financier and daughter of Charles Wellesley, 9th Duke of Wellington) – £3.862 billion
4. Francois-Henri Pinault and Salma Hayek (Kering CEO and actress) – £3.437 billion
5. Sir Philip and Lady Green (chairman of the Arcadia Group and shareholder in Taveta Investments) – £2.787 billion
6. Sir Michael Moritz and Harriet Heyman (Welsh-born venutre capitalist and American novelist) – £2.629 billion
7. Chris and Sarah Dawson (retail billionaire) – £1.9 billion
8. Douglas and Dame Mary Perkins (founders of Specsavers opticians) – £1.6 billion
9. Poju and Anita Zabludowicz (art collectors) – £1.5 billion
10. Georg and Emily von Opel (German automobile businessman) £1.416 billion